CD/DVDs are stored in standard casings and it is the cover that catches the customers eye first. Appart from the cover, allmost all of the standard CD/DVD cases can also hold a thin booklet.
View more CD/DVD cover examples at:
- Cool DVD cover designs at wellmedicated.com
- CD cover samples at pixagogo.com
- Various cool CD cover designs at postmoderncore.com
- Cool CD covers at colors.co.uk
- Wedding video covers at weddingtechnology.com
- Cool movie DVD covers at thedigitalbits.com
- Custom DVD cover designs at deviantart.com
- More cool CD cover designs at kathyridl.com
Things to consider:
- Size – The cases used for CD/DVD storage come in few standard sizes.
- Color space – Use CMYK
- Bleed – Add a bleed area.
- Image quality – Image placeholders should have 300 DPI of resolution.
- Fonts – The smallest type should not be smaller than 7pt.
Here are the standard cover sizes used in CD/DVD cases.
|Standard CD/DVD case cover sizes
||Dimensions (mm)||Dimensions (in)||Free template file|
|Standard CD Case||Front (120 x 120)
Back (150 x 117)
|Front (4,724 x 4,724)
Back (5,906 x 4,606)
|Slim CD case||120 x 120||4,724 x 4,724||CDR|
|Standard DVD box||272 x 184 (14 spine)||10,709 x 7,244 (0,551 spine)||CDR|
|Slim DVD box||265 x 184 (7 spine)||10,433 x 7,244 (0,276 spine)||CDR|
|CD/DVD sleeve (pocket)||125 x 125||4,921 x 4,921||CDR|
|Blu-ray case||270 x 149 (14 spine)||10,63 x 5,866 (0,551 spine)||CDR|
Appart from a single paper sheet (front and back page), the CD’s front inlay can also be a front cover of a multipage booklet. Also, almost all DVD cases have inner box tabs that can hold a booklet containing additional information about the content of the DVD. Here are the standard booklet dimensions:
|Standard CD/DVD booklet sizes
|Standard||Dimensions (mm)||Dimensions (in)||Free template file
|CD booklet||120 x 120||4,724 x 4,724||CDR|
|DVD booklet||120 x 180||4,724 x 7,087||CDR|
|Blu-ray booklet||117 x 145||4,606 x 5,709||CDR|
Note. Make sure the number of pages that the booklet contains is dividible by 4 if it’s to be staple binded.
In order for the colors on the final printed product to look as close as possible to the colors on your PC display, you should work in 4 color CMYK mode. RGB and spot color templates are usually converted to CMYK before printing, which may cause color shifting.
Note. Since the CD/DVD label printing process is different than the paper printing methods used for the CD/DVD cover printing, the colors may sometimes be slightly different.
Add a bleed area to your CD/DVD case cover web-to-print template. The standard bleed size can vary from one printing company to the other, but generally is 3mm (0.125 inches). Read more about bleed.
The image placeholders should have at least 300 DPI of resolution. Read more about image quality here.
The font size depends on the type of font you’re using but a good guideline is to use a type size not smaller than 7-8 point.
Try this web-to-print template.
Download the FREE CorelDRAW template file.
The most common features of a web-to-print CD/DVD cover template are:
- Front cover, back cover and (a single spine area for DVD cases and 2 spine areas for the CD back cover).
- Large text frame,
- Replaceable image field for the background
- Small type text.
- CD/DVD labels
- Greeting cards
- Business cards
- Newspaper Ads
- Books for web-to-print
- Outdoor signs
- Book sizes
- Outdoor sign sizes
- Web banners
- Wrapping paper
- Card & letter sizes
- Web buttons
- Web tabs
- Free signage web-to-print templates
- Tabbed web designs
- Types of web buttons